Monday, October 25, 2010

2:20:11



More than three years ago, I started on a journey to run a half marathon. Armed with my friends from work, a new pair of running shoes from a specialty store, and some new workout clothes, I tried to run every day, at least a little bit. This was fall--and at one point, I was up to more than five miles a day. Then the holidays happened. Training went by the wayside.

The next year, around August, I started getting back into it. I suited up, began jogging, and building each week on the week before. I got into soccer, playing in Las Cruces, using it to get my stress out from being in graduate school and serving as a teaching assistant.

On October 22, 2008, I ditched my Wednesday night class (after bribing my TA to count me there by telling him I would attend that week's lab) and I suited up for my soccer game. With 10 minutes left in the game, I went on a break away down the field, stopped, changed directions, and POP, then stars...I knew something was wrong when I couldn't walk or move. All I could do was cry. It was the worst it could be: a torn ACL and Meniscus, and my soccer career was over for the time being--and so was my hopes of running a marathon anytime soon.

I underwent surgery on November 20, 2008, and began physical therapy shortly thereafter. Recovery was slow, and in April the next year, the pain wouldn't go away--it was constant. I received my first Cortizone shot that month, and kept working toward increasing my activity levels. It wasn't until August that I started really feeling like I could get back into my usual routine, joining my friend's boot camp class and playing soccer again. Running wasn't something that I was getting into.

It wasn't until after my degree was finished, my research project turned in, and I was packed and moved 200 miles north to Albuquerque that I realized what I wanted to do and what I wanted to achieve. Not only was losing weight a huge factor for me, so was working toward my original goal of running longer than a 5k.

I started with the Margarita 5k, then went on to the Zoo Run 5k, and finally, ran my first 10k with the Albuquerque Little Theater. Then, I set my sights on the Duke City Half Marathon, and I started building toward it.

The longest run I did before the race was nine miles along the Bosque on a Monday afternoon about three weeks before the race. The next week, I tapered off and was only able to do a 4-mile run and a 2-mile run. I'll admit it: I was nervous to run the race. Even up to the night before, I wasn't sure I could actually do it.

That morning, I woke up, ate a banana, and headed to the start on Civic Plaza. There were so many people! I ran around the plaza, did some warm-up agility drills to get my muscles going, then headed inside to keep warm.

I started the race strong--too strong. I ran at about a 9-minute pace for the first two miles, which would bite me in the ass later in the race. I sailed through the next eight miles, but at mile 10, I hit a wall. I literally didn't know how I was supposed to do the next 3.1 miles. The last two miles were around a 13- or 14-minute pace--awful for me. But, when I came around the corner on the last block, and I saw my friends Jane and Megan standing there, cheering me on, I picked it up and finished strong.

My time was 2:20:11....and I'm so proud to say that I've done a half marathon. What's next? I'm not sure. But guaranteed I'm not done with the challenges...fixed knee or not.

2 comments:

Jessica Lynn said...

I'm seriously so proud of you for accomplishing that and at an amazing time—seriously, the girls who run marathons out here run right around that time. You've come a long way and all of your hard work paid off. Go Jenna!

B Corson said...

You totally pumped me up about running!!! AND.. I can't say this enough - I'm SOOOOO proud of you!