Tuesday, March 9, 2010

EasyTone



Looking at photos of myself last fall, I was overcome with sadness. I was in a relationship, feeling comfortable, and letting myself fall into a pattern of not going to the gym. My focus was on graduation, moving to a new city, working 35-plus hours, and trying to salvage a relationship that was doomed from the beginning. Needless to say, working out wasn't my main priority. And by the end of the semester, it showed.

My quest to get fit began with a class at CrossFit Albuquerque. I knew I wanted to do something, but wasn't sure that I could afford anything else on my salary. I attended a CrossFitters Anonymous free session, where they taught me the "proper squat" technique, and I was able to get my heart pumping again. By the end, I realized how truly out of shape I was, and I wanted to change it. A friend recruited me for the first CrossFit Boot Camp, which started that Monday, eight weeks ago. It was a bridal boot camp, which didn't bother me much, since I have weddings galore this year.

The week began--and I became pretty familiar with 5 a.m. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Day One was pretty simple, to be honest. I was worried that I had wasted the money on the class because it wasn't as hard as what I was used to. The second day tested me a little more, and by the third day, I was sore and really excited to be on the path to getting more fit. The first week really woke me up to what I was eating, which people say is 85 percent of the struggle to weight loss.

The next couple weeks, I replaced regular sugar with Truvia. I went to boot camp diligently, sometimes being the only one besides the instructor. I debated joining CrossFit to take my workout to the next level, but the $150/month price tag was just too much for me to handle. Then, a friend asked me to try L.A. Boxing, a boxing club less than a mile from work that had more than 48 classes a week from which to choose, from MMA Kickboxing, regular kickboxing, regular boxing, conditioning, and a gym within that entity. One class, and I was hooked. I signed up the next week, with a goal of going at least three times a week.

After the final week of boot camp, I felt great. I felt a difference in the way my clothes fit and the way I was feeling, and it has done nothing but carry me on. I haven't weighed myself since the last week of boot camp, but I'm confident it has been a great result. I've stuck with my commitment to go to at least three classes a week, and I've added playing on my soccer team every Sunday. Last week, I worked out six of seven days. This week will be the same. I need to stick with it.

Not only have I done that, I added a stability ball as my chair at work. It forces me to sit up straight and my back strength is SO MUCH better now. On Sunday of this week, I invested in a pair of the Reebok Easy Tone tennis shoes, and the first day I wore them, my booty actually ached at the end!

I leave for Costa Rica in two weeks, and I'm excited that I will feel relatively great in a bathing suit on the beach. Right now, it's been a great journey...

No comments: