Sunday, March 21, 2010

Settling In

As I woke up this morning to face the day, things seemed a little brighter. Quite literally. I woke up to a blanket of snow on the ground and that sound the winter makes - the sound of complete silence. As I slipped out of the warm confines of my bed, I felt things kind of fall into place. I felt, for the first time in a while, like I belonged somewhere.

When I first moved here, I didn't go through the homesickness - except when I got the call that S didn't want to be with me anymore and he didn't know why. Only then did I really long for my friends, my mom, and a cold beer with the people that could tell me he was a waste of my time.

I thought of him today and how I felt about him. It's sad to look back now and realize we were never quite right for each other. Despite that, I miss the companionship I felt with him, although that feeling came far to late to really make a difference in the relationship.

As I woke up this morning, though, and went through my day, planning my routes and errands to get ready for the biggest trip I will take this year, I felt GOOD being here in this city, whether or not it's 300 miles from home or 1,000. I chatted with someone very important to me from Las Cruces, and though I miss being a daily part of their lives, I realized how much I love getting to meet new people and be a part of something just a little bigger than I've been before. I'm just enjoying what ABQ brings to my life.

So, for now, I'm home. The Duke City is home to me...and it's nice to come back after a break from it, and I'm excited to see what it will bring in the future.

No comments: