Friday, May 16, 2008

In your 20s...

Here is an excerpt from "Grey Matter," a blog about Grey's Anatomy. This sums up my life. Only I don't have the career OR the man. LOL. Enjoy!

"I went to see my first therapist in my twenties. She was this nice woman on the Upper East Side of Manhattan who told me, when I started whining about my lack of career, that most people she sees in their twenties are either good at career or good at love. Not both. And it makes sense, both things compete for your attention. You want to spend time with your boyfriend but your boss asks if you can do some overtime. How to negotiate both successfully is hard. And I think when my therapist said it, she was trying to make me feel better, sort of like, "Yeah, you have no career but at least your boyfriend sounds very nice." But it didn't make me feel better. It made me feel competitive. Because when I said, "Really? You never see people with a good career AND a good relationship?", she said, "only a few." Only a few. That's all I could think about after the session. Who were these FEW and how could I become one of THEM? It was a subtle shift in my thinking, but I began to think less about my problems and more about how to fix them. I started to imagine the new me in my head - she was a woman of action! She didn't sit around all day waiting for things to happen! She made them happen!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best way to be good at both is to give yourself to each 100%. That means when you work, work hard. When you are hanging around your significant other, don't worry about risk just give yourself totally to that person. This is not a sexual remark in the least, this is an emotional one. If you can't give yourself totally then why be there? Nothing is satisfying more then knowing "This is where I want to be." And if the other person doesn't want to? Well, that's a different issue. But, to be happy in both is to give your all when you are there. Then, if your boss tells you to work over time, you will know it will be okay. Plus, if you work hard and not 80%, like most people, you might not have to work overtime cause it will all be done already.